Mouse

Hanging with the Grown Ups

I'm just curious, since we are technically an 18+ server, who else that hangs out here is over the age of 25? 

I think it's probably a very different experience for us, compared to the kids still in school. For us grown-up, adult-type kids, do you balance playing the game around jobs and family? What's the biggest struggle for you all when playing? 

Well over 25, I was born before the UK introduced decimal currency. My routine is pretty settled and it's comfy.

Weekdays I exercise, work full-time, then after I've cooked dinner for the family I play or relax. Weekends and holidays we switch the work for extra meals, shopping, family stuff, and "other stuff". It's here that playing games and life come into conflict more, use that afternoon playing or fitting a wardrobe door? The "other stuff" has taken a bit of a back seat over the last year, that probably needs a bit of re-balancing and that's what I'm mentally wrestling with.

• Like 2

I balance gaming against a job, a social life, and generally keeping the house in livable order. It's just BF and I, no kids, and we're both rather low maintenance so we switch off on stuff like making dinner and can pick up behind ourselves or do a good dent of house work in an hour or two over the weekends. We should probably spend more time doing routine cleaning so I can stop naming dust bunnies, and I should get back to working out buuuut...

• Like 2

My fiancee and I live in a house with my dad, grandma, and our 3 cats. Dad and I built a house together after mom died to help get him and grandma out of the place they were in before (which was not conducive to having a 95 year old woman living there). I have a full time job and the lady is currently working full time on getting her second bachelor's. For me work doesn't really factor into my balancing since that's just a block of time I have to be doing something else. The hard part is balancing the game against the chores that need doing, the wedding planning stuff, and whatever family happens to drop in on the weekend. It's hard for me since I tend to get obsessive about my playing and can spend hours at it if nothing stops me.

• Like 1

I hear you on the chores. It seems like there's a never ending series of them. Does laundry ever REALLY get "done"? I'm 37 but I still feel like I'm only just starting to figure out this whole "adult" thing. Luckily I have a family of gamers who are just as inclined to spend their hours in front of a console or PC, and we all split chores fairly well. My biggest struggle is that I work from home for my day job, and sometimes the siren call of minecraft is a lot stronger than the reminder that I ought to be getting some graphic design work done so I can get paid. 

• Like 1

The laundry isn't the issue so much as the vaccuming, dusting, maintaining the water treatment system for the well, the cars, unpacking (lived there for over 3 years and still not fully unpacked).

Thankfully I work in a fabric covered box less than 15ft from my boss so minecraft during work isn't something I struggle with. Now minecraft videos during work is another story...

Being an unemployed adult is difficult. Games are my distraction from all the shit I've had to deal with over the past year, but they also tend to be my downfall when I should really be applying my skills and getting a job... Why is procrastination a thing?

Also don't quit your job to study. It's not so easy to recover from. In my experience anyway.

• Like 2

We should use levels instead of age. Being level 40 sounds so much better. Anyway Minecraft is a great way of unwinding, I mean better then going crazy, sitting in a corner talking to my self.