Ace

Diversity SMP Art Event!

Hello guys and girls of Diversity!

We have an exciting event for all of the creative people on Diversity...

We need you to make us a new logo!

weblogo.png
Our current logo

As you can see, the logo we have now is not a very good representation of our community. It's basically a stylised Minecraft font with Quartz block texture... not very "diverse" at all! Anyone who sees this logo isn't particularly going to get a feel for who we are as a Minecraft server network. 

So we're giving you all the chance to help us create a new identity for ourselves. There's no better way to do this than by running a community event!

This event will run from November 1-30 - so you have plenty of time to give us your best work!

Of course, there are some rules and regulations you need to read first before getting stuck into creative mode...

Logo Content Requirements:

• The logo must contain the text "Diversity".
    • Please do not include "SMP" as we are more than just an SMP server now!
  • The logo must not infringe any copyrighted material (all art must be your own).
  • The logo should have a "Minecraft feel" to it - we want people to see it and know it relates to Minecraft.
  • If you are drawing characters in the logo, please make sure there is an equal ratio of male/female characters and that they are of different ethnicities (eg. don't draw all white males).
  • Use of colours (rainbow/spectrum) is encouraged, but not necessary, we'll leave this up to you!

Logo Technical Requirements:

• We require two versions of a logo:
    • Banner version that will be displayed on our website, forum and other locations on the Internet.
    • Icon version (square) that will be displayed as an icon on our server list and favicon on our website. This should look good when scaled down to a very small size.
  • Vector graphics (eg. Adobe Illustrator) are preferred, however you are welcome to design a raster/bitmap version of the logo (eg. Adobe Photoshop).
    • If you are designing a raster/bitmap logo, you must use a high resolution:
      • Banner: 3840px x 2160px (this is 4k resolution, you are not required to fill the whole dimensions but please try and meet the width of 2160px)
      • Icon: 1024px x 1024px
    • This is so we can easily scale the logo down to fit within whatever medium we choose to use it on, without losing quality.
  • If you are using a font for your logo, make sure the font is converted to outlines/rasterized. 
  • Please use RGB colour mode.
  • A black & white version of the logo is preferable, but not necessary.
  • The banner logo should have a transparent background. You can design a background for the logo but it must be on a separate layer.
  • Submit your working copies of the logo (.ai, .psd files, etc) in a .zip file. Please don't flatten your images before submitting.

Designing Tips:

• Do some research before creating your logo, search for other Minecraft servers and see what their logos look like. What sort of themes does it incorporate? What makes it work for their community? Are there any improvements you think could be made?
  • Take your time! You have a whole month to come up with a design. Don't rush it.
  • Feel free to post your WIP (work in progress) designs to the forum gallery to gather feedback from the community.

How To Enter:

• Design a banner and icon version logo in whatever program you like.
  • Combine all finished working files into a .zip file.
  • Create a JPG or PNG version of both logo versions.
  • Upload JPG/PNG versions to imgur or another image sharing website.
  • Submit your final design to this thread on or before November 30, 2016.
    • Your post needs to include a link to the JPG/PNG you uploaded online along with the .zip file of your final project.
      • The post may be edited by staff for consistency.

If you need help with any of the above steps, ask!

Judging:

After November 30 and everyone has made their submission to this thread, we will then begin the judging process.

Staff will decide on the top 4 designs that we feel are the best to represent us as a community. A new thread will be posted with the 4 designs and a poll for everyone to vote in. The poll will be open for a month. 

The logo with the most votes after the month will be the winner.

Prizes:

No event should go without prizes! Here's what you could get if you design a logo for us:

• All participants will receive their player head and 5 diamond blocks as a "thank you" for their time.
  • The top five submissions will get the participation prizes as well as an additional five diamond blocks, five emerald blocks, their player head and a custom head of their choice.
  • The runner up (2nd place) will receive the above prizes as well as a Supporter Basic GIFT subscription voucher.
  • The winner will receive all of the above along with 3x Supporter Plus GIFT subscription vouchers, as well as our undying gratitude and appreciation, and of course their design used as our official Diversity logo!

Good luck to everyone that is entering. We can't wait to see your designs!

- Ace and the staff team.

FAQ:

This will be updated as we are asked more questions about the event.

Can I enter more than one design?
- No

Any certain style of art?
- No, but it should reflect Minecraft and the "diversity" of our server. This is completely up to you, however.

Can we work in teams?
- Yes, but only one submission per person (so if you collaborate, that is your only entry, prizes will not be split between players).

• Like 6

THIS THING WILL HAPPEN??!?!

NO FREAKING WAY!

Anyways, I wish good luck to everyone. :D

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DanTheGr8 said:

THIS THING WILL HAPPEN??!?!

Yes this will happen, was it not made obvious? :P 

• Like 2

Well, i'm most certainly looking forward to all the amazing logos that the community will create, and can't wait to vote on the final design!!!! :D 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Alkesta said:

Will you accept a PDN (Paint.net) file?

That is fine.

• Like 2

Just now, Turbotailz said:

That is fine.

Oki thanks :)

• Like 1

Okay here is my entry. I put a lot of time and effort into it. Basically an entire night. Started work around midnight and just finishing up around 4 AM. Also, a bit of symbolism, the different colored woods behind the server icons represents a diverse range of people that the server appeals to. However, no wood represents any specific race. And the quartz in the Network logo is a nod to QuartzIsle, the original spawn and first town on Diversity.

ZIP File:

Imgur Post:

Wish me luck! Maybe I'll make honorable mentions. Or if I'm really lucky, I might even win :) 

Edited by Alkesta
  • Like 2

On 11/5/2016 at 10:51 PM, OffendedChair said:

Here is one that @DumbAsh has made previously

I think if Ash could make a new one, it would be a great piece.

I'm not remaking a NEW one because theres an event for it now... that kinda just wastes my time. and all of that time I spent on those drawings, gone. 

Speaking of, can I re-enter the art I've already made?

Edit: I'm not remaking the one with steve and alex.. I'll maybe just darken his skin tone.

But I plan on remaking the rainbow diversity logo to give it a more minecraft feel.

Edited by DumbAsh
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DumbAsh said:

I'm not remaking a NEW one because theres an event for it now... that kinda just wastes my time. and all of that time I spent on those drawings, gone. 

Speaking of, can I re-enter the art I've already made?

Edit: I'm not remaking the one with steve and alex.. I'll maybe just darken his skin tone.

But I plan on remaking the rainbow diversity logo to give it a more minecraft feel.

You absolutely do not need to make a new one. You're welcome to submit it as-is or make any alterations you'd like :) 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Merga said:

You absolutely do not need to make a new one. You're welcome to submit it as-is or make any alterations you'd like :) 

phew, thank you!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DumbAsh said:

phew, thank you!

Can you tell me what software you used to create it please :( 

• Like 1