Zoredache

Developers: Introduce yourselves

Lets get to know each other's skills.

Please tells a bit about what kind of development work you enjoy, what your skills and interest are in various technologies, and so on.  Perhaps give links to your github account, stackexchange account, blog, or other software development related artifacts you have floating around the Internet.

Oh, and just for the kicks, what is your favorite text editor/IDE.

• Like 2

Hi, obviously I'm a young 13 year old that decided to join this conversation for a bit.

I've studied a lot of software designing lately so I do know a bit. I am interested in coding (like very very interested) which is something I will start doing around November. I am also planning to start developing Plugins and if I decide, Mods also. I am also doing robotics irl which I will leave as a mystery. I had to handle plugins for around a month but I think I lost my experience due to school issues. I do tend to screw up a lot in when it comes to designing, I have a clumsy mind. I might leave this off for now because I don't really like to go a bit more inside. Thank You.

• Like 1

As you probably know I go by the name Zoredache.

My interest in programming started when I was 3rd grade when when the school got a Apple 2 in the library.  Unfortunately I had very limited access to any books, or anything like that other then a badly written guide about how to write basic.  Because it was the 80's and I lived basically in the middle of nowhere, there wasn't really anything else at the school, or public library for years for me to learn from.

It wasn't until I reached High school in the 90's until I actually got access to some slightly better books on basic.  In high school I did something that wasn't entirely unlike programming.  I did some scripting for a BBS that one of the tech teachers was running.  It used some proprietary language I can't even remember the name of.

I didn't really have any money, or the grades to go to a university, so I went to a community college out of HS, and took all the various programming classes they offered a quarter of pascal, 3 of c++, 1 of visual basic, while I was working on a 'computer repair' degree.   I was hired 4 days before my graduation at the place, that I continue to work.  I started of as computer/network support, and have worked my way up to 'Senior Systems Analyst'.

During my time working at the NWESD, I became interested in web development and picked up PHP because it was pretty popular.  I developed a ticket system for the organization, that has been in use for ~15 years now.  Over the years I have used my PHP skills to create various web forms.

While working at the NWESD, for a couple years we had a 'serious developer' on staff working on a few projects.  I helped a bit with those.  Partly in writing specifications, documentation, and doing testing.

My primary job is as a system administrator though, and our environment is pretty heavily automated.  I feel I have a strong grasp of bash, python, powershell as it they would be used for systems administration.  Of course, I have also had to mess and fix the occasional perl, ruby, and other script, but I wouldn't really say I am any good with those.

As for development for diversitysmp, I have created various scripts to keep things running.  I have made a few simplistic web forms and scripts to help our staff do their jobs, and I have done a lot of the setup and maintenance of the server environment.

Links:

Oh, and current favorite text editor is Sublime Text 3, but my vi skills are also pretty good, since I regularly need to edit files remotely on *nix boxes.

• Like 7

I self identify as a problem solver rather than with any particular technology role. Gartner label me a 'Universalist' which I don't object to in the least. In common language I'm a 'Jack of all trades and master of none.' yet across several decades of IT there are plenty of trades to choose from so it more than balances out.

One thing I'm not, and that's a programmer; I'll specify systems and develop their standard operating procedures with equal facility, build relationships, filter meaning from chaos, script with the best of them and read all the code and configuration data associated with a project or instance of a platform but I do not have the temprament to plug away writing code day after day.

Work goes through phases - if the stars align (and never doubt the value of a good project manager in ensuring they do) then I'm doing several things at a time. Right about now I've pretty much finished handing over my previous project (cloud based proxies) to the operations team, I'm doing early deployment work for remote access solutions and planning for data center refresh and build-out. It's challenging and fun but sometimes it can get manic (when it's 'one of those weeks').

So while I can't directly contribute here to any coding and my available time comes and goes I'm interested in seeing how this shakes out. I'm always interested in how others solve problems, every time it's a chance to learn. I'll sling some stuff at the proverbial wall once in a while and some of that might be useful.

Oh and Notepad++ or TextPad.

Edited by SteelyEyed
added editors
  • Like 1

Hi, I'm Magus_Oscuro, and I'm a software engineer.

I developed a strong interest in computers early on, around the time I was 6 or 7 (for perspective I'm 31 now). My family got our first computer back in 1995: a screaming fast PackardBell Pentium 75MHz. In 5th grade I got my first taste of programming: my teacher had a bunch of Apple IIe computers and ran a small after school course in BASIC programming. Over time I developed my skills and now I've got a few languages under my belt: C/C++, PHP, VB, BASH, Python, Java.

At the moment I'm working as a Senior Software Engineer on a communications integration product (http://www.mutualink.net). My favorite thing is to get down into the nuts and bolts of things and see how they work, and see if I can make them work better.

My favorite editor at the moment is Eclipse with a dark color theme. 

• Like 1

I'm not really a programmer, but I'd like to be.

Currently I'm studying Web Development. I have self-taught myself HTML and CSS from a very young age (since I was about 12 years old - 26 now) but I never really got into the more advanced stuff like JavaScript and PHP. The class I'm doing at the moment has covered a lot so now I can safely say I know how to write code with HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, PHP, MySQL, SASS (+ other CSS pre-processors), along with a bunch of web frameworks and libraries as well.

Ideally I'd get into the web industry and work on my skills for the above languages. I like to think I'd be a full stack developer, meaning I'd be dealing with both front-end and back-end web development, though for now I'd really like to focus more on back-end, since I have a lot of experience with client-side languages already.

I have a fascination with data and databases. I love getting into a database and seeing what sort of information I can find. One day I hope to create a web application for Diversity where players can look up their own data without being logged on the server, this application could tie in with our current forum system to make things seamless, but this is just an idea and is probably a long way off from being a reality.

I pride myself in being a strong problem solver, Google is my favourite tool of the trade and I think StackExchange is the most useful website on the internet. It frustrates me to no end when I can't figure something out, so you can bet I am always stressing about something when it comes to our server lol.

My favourite text editor is Sublime Text 3, and my favourite plugin for it is Emmet - a web developer's best friend.

• Like 1

I am just a normal person with some good technology skills. 

I started making minecraft mods about at the 1.6.4 update but have not made any ones in the last month. I am good with Javascript and using bukkit/spigot plug-ins. I am very skilled with CAD files and use autodesk for alot of the 3D modelling stuff. I am used to working on computers and have upgraded my orginal laptop to basicly run as a cpu these days. I help alot at my school with troubleshooting laptops, doc cams, projectors. I have been with the tech crew for our district plays for many years and am very good with a soundboard.

I will have to find my github password as it is not where I last put it.

Edited by Knightman

o /.  Imma Zach and I go by Kola or Eplisium.  I've taught myself HTML, CSS, PHP, SQL, C++, and LUA.  Though I am not really efficient in programming anymore since I quit hosting my own projects.  But yeah, hello there other programmers

Hello I'm Dark, and I've been coding for not even a year. My skills are limited to Python (as my main language), JS, and Java. I spend most of my free time coding, and this has made me the top student in my school for Python.

I enjoy making stuff in python, I make fun little games in GMS2, and I also make plugins.

I've always wanted to learn how to make websites, though I dont know where to start haha.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DarkMonolith said:

I've always wanted to learn how to make websites, though I dont know where to start haha.

You say you know JavaScript, does that mean you know HTML and CSS as well? Or is your knowledge limited to using NodeJS?

Web development is a good thing to learn, you'll want to start with HTML then CSS and JS. I can't really give any tips on where to start since I learnt this stuff years ago but there's probably some really good tutorials on YouTube that could help you get started.