Benokt

WoolWorks Warp Request

Posted (edited)
  1.  My warp request is for a  >FARM< / TOWN / PLACE  (select one)
  2.  The X and Z co-ordinates for the place where I'd like the warp landing spot are -86193 56130
  3.  My build is FINISHED / >IN PROGRESS<  (select one)
  4.  I have read and understood the guideline & requirements thread: >YES< / NO  (select one)

* With this application I confirm that my build is SAFE and no mobs can spawn there. It is 100% claimed by me, with subclaims for appropriate areas. I have spent time and effort making it look nice, and I have placed signs to guide and inform visitors. 

* I promise to not pester staff in-game or here on the forums about this application. Instead I will be patient and wait for replies, and answer any questions asked. If any changes to my build are requested, I will work with staff to make them happen.

* If my application is rejected, I won't complain or whine. Instead I will go back to working on my build and improve it so that it can be approved in the future, when it meets the requirements.

* If my application is approved, I won't rest on my laurels but will continue to uphold the standard of my build and maintain the location. If it is a town, I will assist with any concerns the citizens raise and evict inactive or banned players. I may expand as need be, and I will design my spot in the warp hub to match my build.

Summary

WoolWorks is an automated wool farm that instantly shears sheep the moment they grow wool by detecting when a sheep eats grass, and thus replenishes its coat.

Lobby

Wool collected from the farm system is stored in the ornate lobby, pictured below. (All pictures of the lobby are from the creative server, as it does not yet exist on SMP)

2020-05-01_09_43_54.thumb.png.1871c6829d47079f2cf12722f77cf8f7.png

2020-05-01_09_44_05.thumb.png.b02932d24e1964a5affb504ac67a71b4.png

2020-05-01_09_44_15.thumb.png.7a8ce6f5e061c546ad012f75a8bc01a2.png

2020-05-01_09_44_40.thumb.png.d47a6f98bd9631fe225f479d40d1bfae.png

2020-05-01_09_44_58.thumb.png.94ccd6a00c10dd027ba43a6a7de425fa.png

Performance Concerns and Farm Proposals

It is worth noting that the majority of lag caused by the current large manual sheep farm, SheepfarmNG, is client-side FPS lag, which even then is less severe than the FPS lag experienced at the public guardian farm. Pictured below is a /lag command test with all 1024 sheep in SheepFarmNG loaded and unfrozen, with the server maintaining 20 TPS.

2020-05-01_08_35_43.thumb.png.df3ce1e87ef0a6d09d0ae177e7824ff5.png

A second test was also performed at the building site of WoolWorks with a farm system designed to accommodate the same population as SheepfarmNG was run without sheep, with all 16 automatic droppers manually enabled and all 17 utility minecarts enabled and filled with dummy items. None of these actions produced a major effect on server TPS, as pictured below. However, the automatic droppers did cause measurable FPS decreases when directly looked at. As such, the farm system itself is buried an average of 20 blocks below the site of the future lobby, and players will not experience this lag unless they look at the floor exclusively.

2020-05-01_08_46_27.thumb.png.909ea47be8b75fe9f674bc42660caae4.png

The fact that the farm is automated also presents a potential solution to performance issues. If one player were to AFK at a centralized, automated farm for a long period of low server traffic (ideally, nighttime in North America), the storage system would fill with all colors of wool, meaning the average player would spend hardly 30 seconds at the farm at peak hours, as they'd simply be pulling from chests and not wading waist-deep in the flock. However, this sort of lag is still undesirable, and the current incomplete state of WoolWorks allows for some tinkering with the final product. Consequently, I have designed three separate proposals for the farm system itself, with accompanying designs.

Proposal One: Full, Centralized

The first proposal is the most straightforward, 1024 sheep, 64 per color (the same population as the current SheepfarmNG) buried beneath the lobby complex. This farm  would more than double the output that can be achieved using SheepfarmNG, due to the fact that a player at a manual sheep farm can only shear sheep so quickly. Players that use SheepFarmNG overwhelmingly use only one of the 32-sheep pens, despite the farm containing 64 sheep per color, as the sheep regrow their wool at a rate equal to that at which the player can shove their way through the flock. This design would thus maximize the wool production of a similar-sized population of sheep.

Proposal Two: Half, Centralized

The second proposal is the same as the first with the exception that the farm system only houses 512 sheep, 32 per color, a population closer to that of the older Sheepfarm warp. The output produced is closer,  but still greater, than that which can be manually reached, though the automated nature of the farm still provides key advantages. First, if a player AFKs at the farm for one particular color, all other colors are produced as well, meaning if another player needs a different color, they spend much less time at the farm, as they need only grab from a storage chest rather than shear sheep themselves.

Proposal Three: Full, Decentralized

The third proposal calls for the same total population of sheep, 1024, at 64 per color, but the farm system itself is split into four sections, each at least 143 blocks from the lobby and each other to guarantee that one player can only load one farm at a time. These smaller farms will be linked by warp signs and blue ice item pipes to the lobby, with the warp signs leading to small AFK rooms. This design minimizes the FPS lag experienced by the player at any given point, as the farms only contain 256 sheep each, well below the population of either of the current sheep farm warps. However, the division of the farm system means that one player can only farm four colors of wool at once, and must wait a time at the lobby for the items to arrive, as the items must be reloaded to travel the whole distance of the pipe.

Edited by Benokt
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love 1