DarkMonolith

Vein Miner as a level perk

Should we have vein miner?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have vein miner?

Posted (edited)

I feel like having vein miner as a levelling perk would be nice, since we already have treefeller, and we've always needed more levelling perks.

Vein miner wouldnt be laggy/op since you could set it to just ores, and you can set a max block limit per vein mine.

Vein miner will only work on ores. No other blocks such as stone, dirt, etc

Please share your thoughts on this and maybe we can add an underground version of treefeller :)

video in action of vein miner being toggled on and off. (both with the command, and by holding down shift)

Edited by DarkMonolith
  • Like 1

Sure, why not. If it's a level perk for one of the higher levels than I definitely think it's doable.

As much as it would be do able. There are already things in place to make oreos LESS OP.  So this kinda sounds like a step backwards of what has been put in place 

Ores is a regular world now, @Knightman . Water buckets, ice, pearls are now enabled again. I just think It'd be nice to have, since turbo's been looking for more level perks, and we already have the equivalent for trees.

5 minutes ago, Knightman said:

oreos

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Turbotailz said:

giphy.gif

Image result for mouth open meme

• Haha 1

I like this idea, because:

• I feel like the economy is struggling and this might push help remedy that. 
  • More incentive to play.
  • Mining wont be as dreadful for some
  • Its not OP.
  • Saves precious time.
  • I feel like Ores getting nerfed favors those who already have stacks and stacks of Diamond Blocks. (The rich easily get richer).
  • This can help players catch up to eachother.

• Like 2

I'd have to agree with the majority of people who think vein miner as a level perk is a good idea. Personally, I would like to see this become a thing for some of the reasons, as Ryo listen above. I have not yet experienced (not sure if I'll ever experience it) the old ores world where diamond spawning was increased so I personally feel at a disadvantage to older players who had the option to get an unholy amount of diamonds. I probably spent 3 or something hours looking for diamonds and managed to get 5 stacks of diamonds. I do feel that using vein miner would make mining faster, thus increasing the number of diamonds you're able to gain in the same amount of time. I would have to agree that it's not really op, we already have the equivalent in the tree feller thing so how is mining ores faster any different? I'm more of a builder, and not really about the whole mining life so if this was implemented, I would sure be happy that I could save time by being able to mine a little bit faster so I can get back to building. I'd also have to say that if this was a level perk, for let's say, level 10, I would definitely play a ridiculous amount just to get it. Anyways, that's my opinion. :P

• Like 1

Some concerns brought up today:

What if I toggle it by accident?

The plugin I am currently looking at, https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/veinminer.12038/, has a toggle command! So no need to worry about accidentally carving a hole in your wall due to unexpected coal ore!

Does it cause any stress on the server?

I'm gonna say no. The chances of more than even one person vein mining at the same time are really low. Even if it does happen, the block cap can be changed. The default cap is 64 blocks, and that's less straining than World Edit. No need to worry about this guy crashing the server :)

1 hour ago, DarkMonolith said:

Some concerns brought up today:

What if I toggle it by accident?

The plugin I am currently looking at, https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/veinminer.12038/, has a toggle command! So no need to worry about accidentally carving a hole in your wall due to unexpected coal ore

Treeassist had this toggle and yet the "treepocaplse" still happens and it goes nuts lol

1 minute ago, Knightman said:

Treeassist had this toggle and yet the "treepocaplse" still happens and it goes nuts lol

I've tested the plugin I posted above :) The toggle actually works for once haha.

But yeah, treeassist has caused problems in the past for sure. More pros than cons though imo

Posted (edited)

For those who dont know how vein miner works...

edit: I moved the video up to the top post

Edited by DarkMonolith

There is also an option to toggle it by crouching.

• Like 1

I should probably add one more thing; I spend a large amount of time on this server digging out the area for my custom biome and I constantly run into a ridiculous amount of coal ore. If you know anything about coal and how haste 2 and an efficiency 5 pickaxe interact with it, you should know it still takes a ridiculous amount of time to mine it. Implementing the vein miner plugin would save (I can't stress this enough) A LOT  of time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

As I am a person that has experienced both the old ores and new ores, I can see how newer players feel like they are at a disadvantage.  Ores was extremely overpowered in the past, though, and the economy has basically been 'ruined' in a way.  Things don't really hold a lot of value anymore, so adding more diamonds in the ores world wouldn't help that cause.

Although this plugin would not add more diamonds, it would make the process of mining through veins of coal and iron while strip mining easier. It also adds an incentive to level up, as we need more of those. It is NOT overpowered though, and I feel that is the most important part. Just like chopping an entire tree isn't overpowered and hasn't ruined our economy, this plugin won't either.

As always, this is just my opinion so feel free to reply with any concerns, preferably in this thread so it is easy to find for other players :P

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Another thing to add on, currently there's no reason to go mining in ores over the regular world. When I tp to ores, my game freezes a bit to a) load the new world, and b) refresh the texturepack. This takes about 5-10 seconds and is a bit annoying. This makes me want to stay on SMP to mine. If people had more incentive to mine on ores, we could potentially save GBs of memory on the SMP world over time.

Edited by DarkMonolith

I suppose I should add some serious input here.

In agreement with Dark's statement above about Ores not really being useful to anyone anymore, I'd like to suggest allowing Veinminer for everyone in Ores only. This will encourage more players (especially newbies) to use the Ores worlds for easier resource gathering.

The level perk can make it available to players above a certain level (8?) in all the worlds, and this can include blocks like dirt, stone and sand to help people clear out areas quicker. We would need to test this though, as you can set how many blocks are "mined" at a time, so we don't want to overpower it and allow players to remove too many blocks at once.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Turbotailz said:

In agreement with Dark's statement above about Ores not really being useful to anyone anymore, I'd like to suggest allowing Veinminer for everyone in Ores only. This will encourage more players (especially newbies) to use the Ores worlds for easier resource gathering.

The level perk can make it available to players above a certain level (8?) in all the worlds, and this can include blocks like dirt, stone and sand to help people clear out areas quicker. We would need to test this though, as you can set how many blocks are "mined" at a time, so we don't want to overpower it and allow players to remove too many blocks at once.

I definitely think that that is a good idea, especially since a large amount of chunks are generated by new players mining (I'd be surprised if thats not the case).

I think level 8 is a good level for SMP vein miner, though I would limit lvl 8 to ores, and maybe set lvl 10-12 to stone, dirt, etc - just an idea

(in addition to my suggestion above, I dont know if you can limit certain blocks to certain levels with the plugin I put above. if you can, thatd be great)

Edited by DarkMonolith

7 minutes ago, DarkMonolith said:

I would limit lvl 8 to ores, and maybe set lvl 10-12 to stone, dirt, etc - just an idea

Sadly with that plugin it doesn't look like you can't separate that with permissions. It's all or nothing.

1 minute ago, Turbotailz said:

Sadly with that plugin it doesn't look like you can separate that with permissions. It's all or nothing.

If limiting blocks is something thats worth considering, they have their API public.

Also, you can limit tools, so maybe you can unlock shovel at a later level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turbotailz said:

I absolutely love this idea! 

It would be so handy in ores when trying to mine large quantities of resources such as sand, dirt, gravel, stone, ect.

I am in complete agreement with something like this being added. It would make building a lot easier/more fun, as well as  make larger scale projects more doable (not that they weren't before it would just be easier).

• Like 1

Running the plugin on ores. After actually being online and going to ores once again,  I have found would probably be a good thing to compensate for the large nerf of ores (More like absolute destruction of diamond spawns) with the plugin being outdated with allowed for more diamond . Having on smp as much as i do agree it would help with bigger builds.  I always enjoy the feeling of accomplishment after working hard to get the materials, finish the project and then look at the completed thing so i still am against that side of it. But you can consider my vote for the ORES side of things  a yes now after taking a look

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I do agree that ores definitely needs some upgrades. I can see where you're coming from on the SMP side of things, but the plugin can be configured enough so that its not too much of a change. We still need level perks, so no matter what happens, SMP life for the higher up levels is going to get easier. Level perks are just something we've needed for a while, and I think that this would help everybody out in the long run. Gathering materials is part of the process for making something, but even building it in SMP is an achievement on its own. I can't remember the last time I got materials myself, so this would be a fun addition.

Edited by DarkMonolith

Mmm, I still feel that vein miner should be in smp. You can toggle it on and off so it's up to the player if they want to use it or not. As most have said, there's still a need for level perks and they're meant to make playing a little bit easier (think about the farms in the hub). You're able to get resources pretty easily because of them. Need rockets? Go to the creeper farm and the sugar cane farm. Need wither skeleton skulls? Go to the wither skeleton farm. Vein miner is really no different when compared to the farms. I kind of like the idea of having vein miner for all in the resource world because it's just one of those things that will probably attract players, and make players stay. I know for me, I'm not really trying to take a lot of time mining(unless it's for a build); I'm trying to build. New players will have an easier time getting materials to build with, making them want to play more and not just give up and leave.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Turbotailz said:

TURBO you’re a genius! I second, third, fourth or fifth this all the way!

The faster clearing in the regular would be a godsend! I would love to start help testing right away! As a regular player who teraforms/ flattens mass amounts of land I could be of help.

as for dirt, stone, gravel. High numbers are great, but more control with lower numbers like 7-21 blocks.

As for ores world: I’d rather mine in The regular SMP World. Easier to find unexplored caverns that way.

• Like 1