Zoe

Nether Roof Petition

For those of you who aren't aware of the situation. Going on top of the nether is banned, and if you manage to get to the top of the nether you are killed by the server. You then loose all your items and have no way of getting them back. This is a petition of sorts suggesting that the nether roof ban be removed and the thing that kills you for going on top of the nether to be disabled.

The nether roof ban exists due to rule 6 of the diversity server, "No client hacks, cheating or server exploits." Let's break this down. The nether roof ban presumably exists due to being considered a "cheat." So is it? Here's my opinion.

I consider a cheat to be something that is not intended by the developers that gives a player a distinct advantage. Does getting on the nether roof abide by these things? No. First off is it intended by the developers? Originally probably not, however they clearly know that it can be done and despite that in years of updates haven't patched it out, so I'd say the developers nowadays see it as a feature. Second, does it give players a distinct advantage? I'd say no, however it can be used to make a gold farm, that really is about it.

TL;DR: This is a post making the suggestion that the nether roof ban should be repealed.

Well, I believe the act of getting on top of the Nether to be more of a glitch than a cheat. Because if you think about it, Mojang has placed bedrock as the roof of the nether to prevent players getting above it. The only reason why we can get onto of the nether is by conducting glitches. Eg The Enderpearl method is a block glitch, And the old method of growing the trees is also a glitch because it wasn't a intended feature.

Also on  the topic of Gold farms. I don't think The Server will like a gold farm, I currently Have a Very Efficient gold farm on SMP that will lag the crap out of the server, So if we were to build a gold farm above the roof of the nether it will make the server lag even more because the farms above the nether are Usually More efficient than the one in the overworld. 

Edited by ChaiseRocks
To un underline everything Lol
  • Like 1

I'd like to bring up the fact that overworld gold farms are way more laggy (due to all the portals) than nether roof ones

Edited by Zoe
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Komala775 said:

You can get on the roof with a chorus fruit, which teleports you to a random safe location.

Which i would say is not a glitch

On 1/3/2019 at 5:23 PM, Zoe said:

the thing that kills you for going on top of the nether to be disabled

This should be disabled, are people still dying up there?

Anyway, all I'm seeing here are reasons why it should be banned to build up there. I want to know why people wish to go and build things on the Nether roof, perhaps my opinion on banning it could be swayed.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 1:25 AM, Turbotailz said:

This should be disabled, are people still dying up there?

Anyway, all I'm seeing here are reasons why it should be banned to build up there. I want to know why people wish to go and build things on the Nether roof, perhaps my opinion on banning it could be swayed.

I know that a few weeks ago someone died to it, don't really wanna test it lol. Anyways i would say the main argument towards allowing the nether roof is way less laggy gold farms

While I agree that using the Nether Roof should be allowed, I also think if this recommendation is not taken, and is denied,  might we come to a mutual agreement? Here are some of my ideas.  Such as:

• Traveling along the Nether-Roof for the pure reason to travel long distances, would be strictly prohibited, and a more severe consequence could be implemented if  caught doing so. ( This could be prevented with a WorldGuard region of a pre determined size above the roof (Expanding the region only as you see absolutely necessary) , and as soon as a player hits the regions boarder, they are teleported back to the Nethers spawn. 
• Here is an idea I quite like. Make the Nether roof, only accessible for player of a certain level. Either that be the same for the Vanilla Server, or the second Creative World. Maybe even have a server poll about which level seems the most appropriate! 
• Have the Nether roof only accessible via Supporters or Supporters+. Or, a mix both to ensure the rules will not be broken. ( With this staff would not need to supervise as closely, as the players that have access would be well known, and trusted.) Maybe have a server poll to help decide! 
• Per staff permission (Given permission via a Staff Member), and supervision, allow player(s) to build on top of the nether roof, strictly for the use of Gold Farms. I feel that this would be a  huge benefit to the server, not only would it be freeing up valuable Buildworld land, it would take stress off the server as whole, and make the players experience on the server,  a bit more lag free. Which, I think we can all agree upon, the less lag the better.  Some limitation(s) could also be set in place, too. Such as:
• Permit a pre-determined amount of nether portals, and size, capped at whichever percent is deemed acceptable. 
• Space restrictions: Players are only allowed to build within a pre-determined radius, running along either the X & Z axis, or the X, Y and Z axis. 
• A plot system setup nearly identical with Shops and Malls. (Some tweaking would have to be done to ensure plot permissions do not leak through to the main Nether level. 
• Last, but certainly not least! The area for gold farms would be using pre-generated chunks from previous players exploring the surrounding nether area. This way, we would not be loading anymore chunks than we really need to, hence saving on storage place. (Hey, penny pinching where it counts pays off in the long run! 😉 ) Including saving on storage space, we would also putting less of a load on the servers CPU while the server generates new chunks. I'm not saying every player that wants to build a farm is going to find un-explored chunks to build it in, but if offered the possibly to build on completely flat, with minor restrictions, I would easily take the Nether instead of scouting a good area, clearing it, fighting off mobs, etc. 

TL;DR,
The possibilitys the Nether Roof yields for players to build upon is absolutely endless, and I could see this being yet another attractive feature of the server to bring more players in. Being allowed to build on the nether roof could completely revolutionize the way our players on Diversity show off their farm-building skills, and put their creativity to the test. A lot of players, like myself, enjoy building massive and crazy efficient farms, so whats a better place than the roof of the Nether?   If allowed to build on the Nether Roof,  I think it could change the history of Diversity as we know it, for the even even better. 

Thank you for taking the time for reading this post, I greatly hope my recommendation is taken into account and discussed among all members of Staff. 

Yours truly,
Mike. 

• Like 3

Personally, I see a problem with building on the roof of the Nether. The first issue is that the claims cannot protect only the roof unless Turbo or Zore can work magic. The second issue is that building a farm, regardless of its location, it uses the same amount of resources to load each pigman and to run whatever kills them or teleports them. I can see the plus side to this, but seeing that its more or less to show off, why not just make an event server set as a Nether biome and have it flat bedrock with plots?

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 6:42 AM, TPS_Platinum said:

If the nether roof was enabled on the server, do you know how easily someone could get to the world border?

On 1/14/2019 at 11:50 AM, mike88898 said:

• Traveling along the Nether-Roof for the pure reason to travel long distances, would be strictly prohibited, and a more severe consequence could be implemented if  caught doing so. ( This could be prevented with a WorldGuard region of a pre determined size above the roof (Expanding the region only as you see absolutely necessary) , and as soon as a player hits the regions boarder, they are teleported back to the Nethers spawn

I feel like if a certain group of people were allowed *only* to build a public gold farm would it be okay. That's all we need from the nether roof anyways, so once this group of people get it done, bam, we no longer need the roof. We can all be happy with a new, more efficient, less laggy gold farm, and the roof can go back to being banned (but people wont die on it, just make it kick you down or something idk)

• Like 1