handwriting

handwriting appeal

1) What's your current in-game name?

handwriting

2) What do you think you were banned for? If you are unsure, our rules can be found at diversitymc.net/rules 

saying the word retard

3) Why should you be unbanned? 

Context matters. 100%. I've attached an unedited portion of the log in my .minecraft folder for you all to read. I did direct any insults towards anyone, I did not use it to insult anyone. I used it to reference the origin of a meme I used in chat. According to rule #1 :

Do not insult other players in chat (no name calling, or swearing at each other). Do not use hate speech or deliberately try to be offensive... We will not tolerate bigoted, racist, sexist, etc. players.

I did not insult any players. I did not use hate speech to deliberately be offensive. I don't believe saying "r/okbuddyretard" constitutes as hate speech. I connected to the server, said three chat messages, none directly at another player, and disconnected.  

Have a read of my log, or your log if you prefer. I have not broken any rules. 

texttext.txt

So you're super defensive and don't seem to think you did anything wrong at all. Okay. Not a great start to a ban appeal.

Do you feel it's acceptable to use that word in chat? When it's not directed at someone specific, you're just saying it for whatever reason. You feel that's okay and everyone should be allowed to do so?

23 minutes ago, Lucifer said:

Do you feel it's acceptable to use that word in chat? When it's not directed at someone specific, you're just saying it for whatever reason. You feel that's okay and everyone should be allowed to do so?

Depending on the context, it is perfectly acceptable to use that word in chat, and with 3 players online, there's not a great chance someone will be hurt by it.

I did not say it for whatever reason, the message I sent it in consisted of "r/okbuddyretard." That's not an insult, that's not hate speech, and that's not being deliberately offensive. I don't think anyone should be allowed to say it in a deliberately offensive or insulting context, but given the situation it may be alright.

'Retard when used as a noun is a pejorative word used to refer to people with mental disabilities. The word has gained notoriety for causing a growing number of mentally disabled people to feel unfairly stereotyped'

Considering the server name and rules, do you still think that its an ok word in any context? 

9 hours ago, handwriting said:

, and with 3 players online, there's not a great chance someone will be hurt by it.

Why should the amount of players effect how you act ? And chat is also linked to discord as well if you are not aware so anyone could be seeing chat at that moment 

Not in any way is this a valid argument 

5 hours ago, Loubee1000 said:

'Retard when used as a noun is a pejorative word used to refer to people with mental disabilities. The word has gained notoriety for causing a growing number of mentally disabled people to feel unfairly stereotyped'

Considering the server name and rules, do you still think that its an ok word in any context? 

depending on context yes

I see.

We disagree.

So if you want to play on Diversity you'll have to avoid that word. In any context.

If you can't do that, or if you disagree strongly with our stance, then you'll have to play elsewhere I'm afraid.

I understand, but I just don't think a 20d ban is necessary for a first offense like this, especially when I have received maybe one or two unrelated warnings and my last ban was over a year ago if I remember correctly.

Edited by handwriting