Jazzkovsky

My name is Jazzkovsky but you can call me Jazz!

Jazzkovsky    7

Hi Everyone!

I'm one of those older guys (30+) and I love ... wait for it ... you'll never guess what ...  Jazz! Music is a big part of my life and I have a weak spot for poetry too. It might be noteworthy that I'm not a native english speaker, so if I'm ignoring your insults, chances are that I just didn't understand them. :P  I have been playing MC since the early versions, but from time to time I'm taking a brake.

That being said, you may treat this thread as an AMA. I'll answer *cough* everything.

• Like 3

DANime203    579

Are you Russian (because they Stalin :P) because your name sort of feels like you're Russian.

What made you interested in Jazz?

Heh... Want a hug? :D

jepanddep    33

Hi Jazz, I like jazz as well. :)

1. Is there any specific style of jazz you like to listen to?

2. What are your favorite jazz pieces?

3. Have you ever played in a jazz band, and if so, on which instrument?

It's always nice meeting a fellow jazz fan, so I give you a warm welcome. :D

Jazzkovsky    7

@DANime203: Nope, I'm Austrian but  "Jazzkovsky" kind of plays with Tschaikowski's name, and he was Russian. And yes .... I reluctantly agree to a hug.

@jepanddep: Hi! Thank you for the welcome. :wave: Allow me to answer your questions.

1. I like almost all styles including freejazz, but among my favourites are dixieland, bebop and vocal jazz in general.

2. Although I enjoy modern jazz, I guess I really have a heart for classics too.  Thelonius Monk: Blue MonkCharlie Parker: ConfirmationMiles Davis: All Blues, Kurt Elling: Nature Boy

3. Yes and my instrument is my voice (though I play the guitar too).

@AdventureNarwhal: I was specifically searching for an "international" server, with people from all over the world. Also, I like the concept of Diversity Smp. And yes I can. :P

Narwhal pouts: "Leave me in peace.
You kill my kind, you killed my niece.
Now don't you dare and use my name
for poetry. Just die in shame!"

Edited by Jazzkovsky
  • Like 1

Zoredache    247
On 9/6/2017 at 4:38 AM, Jazzkovsky said:

I love ... wait for it ... you'll never guess what ...  Jazz!

So do  you have some playlist suggestions or something for a person that really doesn't know anything about Jazz?  What should I listen to to get a good understanding?

Ash    201
9 hours ago, Jazzkovsky said:

Do you generally prefer music with lyrics, or without?

mostly with. But I don't mind without lyrics if the music is good enough. 

(Ik this was a question for zore xD but I too am interested in what you listen to)

Jazzkovsky    7

Alright, I made a playlist for you all and called it "Jazz for Diversity".  It includes both titles with and without lyrics while aiming to maintain a balance. Creating this playlist cost me more time than I would have anticipated, but I definitely had fun. Those are all songs that define jazz for me in one way or another.  I hope you like them and would appreciate some feedback. B|

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB_S8yEzuuOkuhBjJ_Qrf8QdJaf2CuR0z&disable_polymer=true

edit:

I forgot to answer Zore's question.

19 hours ago, Zoredache said:

So do  you have some playlist suggestions or something for a person that really doesn't know anything about Jazz?  What should I listen to to get a good understanding?

The playlist I created may be a good start, because it covers a broad range of artists and styles including swing, bebop, bossa nova, gypsy jazz, latin jazz and vocalese. Your second question is not as easy to answer. I think the first step would be to find out what kind of jazz you prefer and start there. The more fun you have with it the faster you'll get an understanding for it.

Edited by Jazzkovsky
Answered Zore's question.
  • Like 3

Zoredache    247

Sorry for the slow reply, I finally got around to checking the forum.  

On 9/11/2017 at 10:55 PM, Jazzkovsky said:

Do you generally prefer music with lyrics, or without?

Sorta depends on my mood and what I am doing. 

While I am work I tend to listen instrumental covers of pop stuff.  So things like, but not limited to  Sonya BelousovaThePianoGuys, and Lindsey Stirling.   But I also like listening to instrumental movie sound tracks, so something like John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore.  Also some video game sound tracks like Final Fantasy (Nobuo Uematsu), Halo, and so on.

• Like 1

Zoredache    247
On 9/12/2017 at 0:52 PM, Jazzkovsky said:

Alright, I made a playlist for you all and called it "Jazz for Diversity".  It includes both titles with and without lyrics while aiming to maintain a balance. Creating this playlist cost me more time than I would have anticipated, but I definitely had fun. Those are all songs that define jazz for me in one way or another.  I hope you like them and would appreciate some feedback. B|

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB_S8yEzuuOkuhBjJ_Qrf8QdJaf2CuR0z&disable_polymer=true

I'll have to keep listening but I got through the first 8 songs I think I hard heard some of them in sound tracks or in the background in the past.  It seems pretty good so far.

Jazzkovsky    7
On 18.9.2017 at 9:00 AM, Zoredache said:

I'll have to keep listening but I got through the first 8 songs I think I hard heard some of them in sound tracks or in the background in the past.  It seems pretty good so far.

Happy to hear it. :D A lot of those songs are interpretations of jazz standards, so I'm not surprised that you heard some of them before.