Merga

Help Merga upgrade her PC?

12 posts in this topic

Hey folks, 

Everyone was so helpful with Luci that maybe you can put some eyes on pieces I was quoted and let me know if what I'm looking at will suit my needs. I already intend to get more RAM than they've listed here for me. I already have a case and a (not SS) HD which is why they're not listed here

My goal is to have a PC that can play the games I want it to, dual monitor setup (so I can watch streams & game at the same time), and possibly stream my gaming to Twitch. 

Thank yooooou!

upgrade.PNG

The GTX 1060 should be good enough, assuming you don't want to spend more on a better GPU.

Overall it's a good build (I suggested my flatmate get a similar setup), I'd definitely recommend a SSD for booting into your OS, use your HDD for storing the games on, you could probably store your most used games on the SSD for faster load times also (depending on what size SSD you get).

No Windows?

1 person likes this

Thanks Turbo <3 

There's a little wiggle room in my budget but if I'm upping the RAM I'm not sure it quite covers the GPU, I'll need to get a revised quote before I make that decision. 

I bought Win 7 back in September because I don't like how 10 advertises to people so I've already got that wholly covered. The SSD might be an "if I decide I need it later" upgrade since it's not so difficult to switch in. As it stands I need some A/V peripherals and have to be able to account for them when I work out what I want.

do you really need a 600W power supply? i would go a lower one, and use the spare money on more ram or an ssd.

2 people like this

On 08/07/2017 at 8:28 AM, Merga said:

The SSD might be an "if I decide I need it later" upgrade

Oh trust me, you need it ;)

2 people like this

On 7/7/2017 at 9:28 PM, Merga said:

I bought Win 7 back in September

You may not want to hear this but this is only supported for the next 2.5 years (until Jan 14th 2020) honestly if you're redoing your PC now it's time to move on. Fully agree ads are annoying and if you're not lucky enough to be running Win 10 Enterprise you do have to adjust loads of things to turn them off but you can do it, I found this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/269331/how-to-disable-all-of-windows-10s-built-in-advertising/

The MSI B250M-Mortar is well regarded.

Have to agree with Turbo on the SSD, it's a huge difference. Like was said over when Luci was picking that new PC you can squeeze by with a 120GB SSD but honestly recommend an ~250GB drive. Keep your existing HDD for media and installing programs that you can live without the SSD boost. Excellent performance without totally breaking the piggy bank maybe look for the Samsung PM961 (uses the M.2 slot so it's really neat and tidy), you get an more traditional SSD, for example a WD Green,  for ~80% of the price.

One thing to say about the motherboard - it doesn't allow dual nvidia graphics cards, it does allow dual AMD - not a problem for most people but worth knowing just in case. The 1060 is a solid card, it's good for gaming at 1080p with gaming on one (of two connected) monitors you should be good. If you're going to a higher res monitor for gaming you might need to turn down some of the pretties a bit.

2 hours ago, OffendedChair said:

do you really need a 600W power supply?

You don't honestly need 600W (nvidia say 400W for a system with a 1060) and you can, for pretty much the same money, get a 450W modular version. Corsair 450 Watt CX450M is semi-modular which means that the main ATX power cable is hard-wired but the other power cables (for sata/graphics) can be plugged in or unplugged separately, this can sometimes make for a lot neater cabling inside the case. Or save a few dollars and pickup a CX500 if you like Corsair.

Last is memory...the motherboard supports 2400MHz RAM. The price difference between 2133 and 2400 can be literally zero - on crucial.com they are both listed at the same price. The 2133 is CL15, the 2400 is CL17. Which is 'better' depends upon your specific tasks but I would say consensus favours clock rate for most home uses.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/MSI(MicroStar)/b250m-mortar

3 people like this

I confused, what ads are you talking about with Windows 10? I haven't noticed any ads and I've been using it since it came out.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Turbotailz said:

I confused, what ads are you talking about with Windows 10? I haven't noticed any ads and I've been using it since it came out.

Heard from some people that they were just getting lots of popups to buy X or Y product. If it's not an issue the way they made it out to be Win 10 might be a down-the-line upgrade. I'm in need of a new PC for more than just "I want it" reasons but also just paid off a bedroom furniture set so I have to push some stuff off rather than using the entire rainy-day fund.  

6 hours ago, Merga said:

Heard from some people that they were just getting lots of popups to buy X or Y product

Maybe you're just talking to too many anti-Windows people. I never get pop ups to buy anything. I get the occasional Skype notification that pisses me off (I hate Skype) but other than that it's fine.

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Turbotailz said:

Maybe you're just talking to too many anti-Windows people. I never get pop ups to buy anything. I get the occasional Skype notification that pisses me off (I hate Skype) but other than that it's fine.

I have never had a pop up, unless adware somehow crept onto my computer.

On 7/9/2017 at 1:06 AM, Turbotailz said:

Unless you turn it off you will get try office notification it is usually just a notification bubble, and an entry in the action center..  Unless you turn it off you will get appstore suggestions when  you search the start menu.

None of the 'ads' are really overly distracting or annoying, but they do exist.

5 hours ago, Zoredache said:

Unless you turn it off you will get try office notification it is usually just a notification bubble, and an entry in the action center..  Unless you turn it off you will get appstore suggestions when  you search the start menu.

None of the 'ads' are really overly distracting or annoying, but they do exist.

I own Office, so I guess that's why I haven't seen anything like that.

1 person likes this