Lucifer

Help Luci buy a new PC

I'm playing around with putting together a new PC while awaiting tax refund season. Any thoughts on this setup?

"Vegas M" Magnetic LED Strip Red (for that sexy look)
Corsair Carbide SPEC-01 Midi Tower Black (ditto)

Logitech MK120 Combo (default keyboard that comes with it, I have my own)

ASUS PCE-AC56 AC1300 Wireless Adapter
Cooler Master B500 V2 KOMPLETT Edition (power supply)
Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake Prosessor (processor)
ASUS Prime B250M-Plus BULK, Socket-1151 (motherboard)
Crucial DDR4 2400MHz 8GB (do I need more than 8?)
MSI GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Gaming (is this decent?)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5'' HDD
HyperX Fury 240GB 2.5" SSD (my brother insists I *need* an SSD, do I?)
Logitech Z120 PC Høyttalere (speakers, I have none atm)
MS COA Win 10 Home Nordic

This setup is juuuust over $1'000 and uses this build-your-own deal: https://www.komplett.no/k/config.aspx?ConfigSystemId=11258 (text in Norwegian but brand names and numbers are universal). I don't want to go any higher than that.

• Like 1

Me being me, I would go with 16GB on the RAM. And yes, a GTX 1050 is plenty

1 hour ago, Lucifer said:

an ssd is a great addition, although it looks as if your motherboard has an m.2 slot. i would recommend getting an m.2 ssd for even faster storage.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OffendedChair said:

an ssd is a great addition, although it looks as if your motherboard has an m.2 slot. i would recommend getting an m.2 ssd for even faster storage.

I wouldn't get a large one though, just a 120 GB for putting the operating system on. Fill the rest with HDD or it may get really expensive

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lucifer said:

Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake Prosessor (processor)

Great CPU.

ASUS Prime B250M-Plus BULK, Socket-1151 (motherboard)

Good MoBo which will support the 2400MHz RAM you're getting

Crucial DDR4 2400MHz 8GB (do I need more than 8?)

8GB of RAM now days is like the bare minimum you should consider getting. Personally I prefer at least 16GB but I am a heavy user when it comes to multi-tasking on my PC.

MSI GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Gaming (is this decent?)

The GTX 1050 is a good low-end GPU and will play Minecraft nicely, as well as most AAA titles at medium settings. 

Abso-fucking-lutely! Solid state drives are essential in modern day computers. The read/write speeds far exceed those of a hard disk drive and you'll really notice the difference when you're booting up into your operating system and when you launch programs. They're very fast. It's always good to have a separate drive for all your documents and stuff, since SSDs are quite expensive you usually have to settle for something with low capacity, so 240GB is a pretty standard disk size. You have the 1TB HDD so that's all good.

Any thoughts on this setup?

Since I know the things you use your PC for (usually my first question to anyone looking to buy/build a new PC) I can safely say this setup will be perfect for you. It will run very well and you won't be out of pocket for it :)

57 minutes ago, OffendedChair said:

M.2 is great but I think it is unnecessary for Luci, they're very expensive and the speed difference probably won't matter so much to her.

• Like 2

I have had good luck with corsair products, as I have used alot of them and they work very well.  I personally pefer water cooling instead of fans, it's alot quieter and seems to run my pc cool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OffendedChair said:

what do you intend to do with the pc?

Minecraft, modded Skyrim, modded Civ V (and VI once I pick it up in a sale), other Steam games, watch Netflix and Youtube, write and edit large google drive documents, listen to iTunes. Usually 2-3 of these things at the same time + chrome with 20 tabs.

The RAM is really my greatest concern, since it's been an issue on both my previous desktop and my laptop. I stress them both out by doing too many things at once.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lucifer said:

The RAM is really my greatest concern, since it's been an issue on both my previous desktop and my laptop.

Get 16GB then, better to be on the safe side.

Maybe even think about upgrading to a GTX 1060.

• Like 1

What resolution display are you driving? The 1050 is solid to 1920x1080, if you're going higher (or drive multiple screens) you would be well served by going up there. To save a few dollars (and pay for that in budget) is there anything from a current setup that can be reused, perhaps a PSU or HDD and if you don't need the keyboard and mouse why buy them (-203NOK)?

I would definately include an SSD (if possible) it makes a world of difference. You can drop that down to 120GB provided you don't want to be able to hibernate the PC (a hidden file, the size of the RAM, is permanently reserved). Don't install Steam  to this drive - you can still put specific steam games on it. I wouldn't make this compromise myself but it's out there.

I would stick with 8GB of RAM in the first instance, yes more is merrier but it's something you could easily add later. Do bear in mind that roughly double the size of the RAM will be reserved on the OS disk by Windows itself so if you are going to 16GB you really shouldn't drop any SSD below 200GB.

It's always compromises, if the budget is pressed consider dropping the CPU down to the i3-7100. It has even better single thread performance than the i5 quoted. You would notice some difference if you're doing media work (encoding video) but otherwise not so much.

• Like 2

I had no mouse selected, and the keyboard was listed as +/- zero for me. So those posts should both be zero, but I've changed the selection to no keyboard anyway.

Unfortunately I do not remember what display I ran and atm the PC is borked to the point it won't boot up properly so I can't check easily either. I had a single screen. 

I've chosen to not include a DVD writer because I have one in my old PC that I plan on transplanting. Pretty much everything else in my old PC is 5 years old or more, except for the RAM (3 chips of 4GB each for 12 total). I believe that particular set won't be compatible in many other mobos?

My old HDD is also on the small side, and I'd very much like the 1TB since it's a good price and I've been meaning to upgrade. I definitely can not afford to get a better graphic card, but that would be an option in a year when it's tax refund season again ;)

Choosing HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16GB ups the total cost to $1175, which is more than I would have liked to spend, but... I'll have to think about it. It'd eat up more than half of my tax refund and I need to get some other stuff, too. I might go with the 8GB and look at upgrading next year.

• Like 2

the gtx 1050 is arguably the best low budget graphics card. if you had a little more money to spend, a 1060 would make the world of difference. the 1050 should run most games at medium-low settings fairly well. 

the i5 7400 is a great processor. like @SteelyEyed you could go with a cheaper intel processor, or you could try a ryzen processor. the motherboard will work with this processor.

i would personally go with a smaller (120gb) m.2 ssd. i would load the os and maybe a few programs you use a large amount of time onto it. i would then save files, images other games etc. on the hdd. 

i would stick with 8gb of ram, and wait until you have more funds to upgrade. 

what are you using for cooling? 

the case seems fine. same goes with most of the other components.

Some thoughts:

1. Go for 16GB or 32GB of RAM. I have 32GB in my i7 desktop and it is nice.
  2. If you have the cash to spare: splurge on a 500 GB SSD. That's what I just put in mine and my wife's laptops. Your boot and load times are going to be super fast. I can reboot any of my SSD computers in under a minute.
  3. This one is open to debate: I personally would've gone for an i7 setup. I'm not sure how the i5s are now, but last time I built a PC i7 was the way to go.
  4. Get an aftermarket CPU heatsink. The stock ones are not good enough for gaming. Intel processors will run slower when hot to protect the circuitry from burning. Putting a beefy heatsink on there will let it keep going at full speed. Just make sure that it will fit in your case, they can get a little crazy with the size and shape.
  • Like 1

^ If I had an extra $500 to spend I would 😛 I'm very much on a budget of 1k here. 

6 hours ago, Magus_Oscuro said:

I'm not sure how the i5s are now, but last time I built a PC i7 was the way to go.

Intel i5 processors are brilliant. I tend to put them in builds that don't require massive processing power because they're much cheaper yet still perform very well. I put one in my work PC and it handles everything well (I usually have a lot of programs running at once).

On 6/21/2017 at 1:28 PM, OffendedChair said:

what are you using for cooling? 

The page I linked has a post for optional additional cooling, but I have not selected any, due to $$. They are all fans, liquid cooling does not appear to be an option.

I may add an extra fan from that list of options - I'm looking at this one due to price/good reviews: https://www.komplett.no/product/657094

just to be on the safe side, i would watch this video  for a last compatibility check. it seems like everything will work fine to me.

Shouldn't be an issue - they put it together for me and install Windows on it. If they're unable to do that, they won't be sending it to me :P 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucifer said:

Shouldn't be an issue - they put it together for me and install Windows on it. If they're unable to do that, they won't be sending it to me :P 

ok, then that makes a lot of the process much easier.

You have a Seagate Baracuda on your specs.  You  might want to swap that out for a Seagate FireCuda instead.  In USD there there it $69, vs $49 for the Baracuda.  SSHD drives are a hybrid drive that combines the large cheap storage you get from spinning rust, with a small read/write cache on a small bit of fast solid state storage.  It isn't as huge of a performance increase that you would get from a pure SSD, but there is still a noticeable improvement (25-50%  in some cases) over a traditional spinning rust drive at the marginal increase in price.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Turbotailz said:

I wonder how much they are charging you to build it... ¬¬

Less than your plane ticket, mate :wee:

15 hours ago, Zoredache said:

You have a Seagate Baracuda on your specs.  You  might want to swap that out for a Seagate FireCuda instead.  In USD there there it $69, vs $49 for the Baracuda.  SSHD drives are a hybrid drive that combines the large cheap storage you get from spinning rust, with a small read/write cache on a small bit of fast solid state storage.  It isn't as huge of a performance increase that you would get from a pure SSD, but there is still a noticeable improvement (25-50%  in some cases) over a traditional spinning rust drive at the marginal increase in price.

Do you mean go for the Firecuda rather than the Barracuda and an SSD, or both the Firecuda and an SSD as well?

Also:

On 6/21/2017 at 1:28 PM, OffendedChair said:

i would personally go with a smaller (120gb) m.2 ssd. i would load the os and maybe a few programs you use a large amount of time onto it. i would then save files, images other games etc. on the hdd. 

The HyperX Fury 240GB 2.5" SSD is the smallest option available. And none of those in the list say M2 anywhere.

1 hour ago, Lucifer said:

Do you mean go for the Firecuda rather than the Barracuda and an SSD, or both the Firecuda and an SSD as well?

I was suggesting you replace the Barracuda with a Firecuda.  Having a small SSD for your OS and  data in addition to the SSHD for your games, and bulk data would probably be best, since picking up a 1-2TB SSD is out of your budget.