Ash

Modded SMP?

Can Diversity add a Modded Server with Bibliocraft, Decocraft, etc.? 

I started watching this SMP called Harmony Hollow and dang it actually looks fun. This could also attract a lot more new players who are interested in this kind of thing.

I'd be more than happy to pay a lot more for you guys if money is the problem to increase the GB/ram (I don't know what the correct term is for the lag thing or whatever the server runs on) but yeah, I'm down.

If the idea isn't impossible at the moment because of all of the work you guys already do or its not impossible to do so at all, then its completely understandable, just an idea that came :D

Edited by DumbAsh
and by me paying a lot more, I just mean me and not actually having to increase the supporter prices :)
  • Like 4

I understand that people enjoy playing modded Minecraft but Diversity is not planning on running any modded servers in the foreseeable future.

The reason for this being a few things:

• I don't know anything about modded Minecraft, let alone running a modded server and I don't believe @Zoredache does either (though I could be wrong) and at the moment, we are the only two people capable of setting anything up. I could learn about it, but it's just a time consuming task I'm not ready to tackle at the moment.
  • What mods/modpacks would we use? There are thousands of mods available and people have different tastes. We'd either have to come up with a set of mods that everyone wants AND are compatible not only with each other but the server software running them OR we could settle for a modpack which contains many mods that should be compatible with each other.
  • We would need to rely on players who know what they are doing when it comes to modding their version of Minecraft (with the correct mods) to join the server. This will open up a whole new need of support to ensure people are able to join. We probably have a few people available to help with that but I wouldn't count on it.
  • We'd also probably be an opportunity for people to try out a modded experience for the first time, which also opens up a whole new world of questions we'd be expected to answer. I myself have never played modded Minecraft (I played Technic for like 5 seconds before becoming extremely overwhelmed and closed it forever) so I'd feel pretty useless as an admin, trying to help someone about something I know nothing about.

Server resources aren't a problem for us (unless we need a LOT of RAM to run), it's more the staff resources and the mods themselves that are an issue.

Of course, this shouldn't stop this subject from being discussed. If anyone does have anything to add (maybe to argue against the points I've raised above) then please let your opinion be heard.

• Like 4

It's a bit of a shame that it'd be such a trouble to get working, because it'd be great fun to play on :P 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Turbotailz said:

There are thousands of mods available and people have different tastes.

We could take votes on mods. I am really more interested in simple stuff such as furniture related mods, mo's creatures, inventory pets? Although the word simple doesn't really fit well with modded lol. It doesn't have to be anything crazy. Just something fun with building (since thats what you mostly do in SMPs) and little things as I've mentioned with mo's creatures, inventory pets, etc.

8 minutes ago, Turbotailz said:

so I'd feel pretty useless as an admin, trying to help someone about something I know nothing about.

At one point, we all started playing minecraft and didn't have a hell of a clue how to play it. But we learned as we kept playing. Like I said, the mods don't have to be crazy and big where we would need a lot help. 

Edited by DumbAsh

54 minutes ago, Turbotailz said:

it's more the staff resources and the mods themselves that are an issue.

People and process are key factors in pretty much everything. 

I understand that a few Diversity alumni are playing Sky Factory right now. I believe that they can still be reached on Discord, perhaps that could scratch the itch to play modified?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turbotailz said:

We would need to rely on players who know what they are doing when it comes to modding their version of Minecraft (with the correct mods) to join the server.

we could make a video on how to do that? Maybe it'll lessen the questions afterwards. 

2 hours ago, Turbotailz said:

(I played Technic for like 5 seconds before becoming extremely overwhelmed and closed it forever)

Thats how I felt when I first started minecraft lol. I had to search up a bunch of stuff before getting the hang of it and it took a while. But I understand that mods are a lot more complicated. There's the NEI items plugin that could help out a bit, searching up videos on how to do stuff is not difficult to do so as well. 

here is a list I found that we could possibly use: link

-- We could keep the mods small right now. Such as just starting with building related mods. And as people get used it, we'll add more. As for new players, well those people who are used to the mods can help them. Just as we do already in the normal SMP.

Edited by DumbAsh

On 3/17/2017 at 11:44 PM, DumbAsh said:

Can Diversity add a Modded Server with Bibliocraft, Decocraft, etc.? 

Like Turbo said, I really don't know anything about modded Minecraft.

I am not entirely against the idea either.   

One of the tricky parts is that most of these modded things seem to be targeting old builds of Minecraft, those older builds wouldn't be compatible with Bungeecord + Deluxechat, which is what we use to run multiple server instances and have chat cross-server.   We could still run it though it would just be a completely stand alone instance and it would have to live in a non-standard port.  I think we would require that anything be compatible with at least BanManager.  We really need our bans, mutes, notes, etc to apply cross network.

My bigger concern would be how long we would keep the server up if it becomes inactive.  For the SMP we have more or less committed to it existing without a reset.  But I really don't think we could make the same commitment for other servers, at least not  unless they became really active and stayed active (unlike the vanilla server which is busy for the first couple weeks after a new release, but then hardly anyone plays it).

I am not a java developer so anything we would seriously look at has to more or less be a complete package that I can just setup. Ideally a it would need to be build on well-maintained plugins/mods, or we would need to accept that once something is out of maintenance and causes bugs we will just have to shut things down.

Anyway before I set anything up, I would kinda like to see what specifically people want, and I probably wouldn't want to spend time setting it up unless there were at least 10-20 players that would login and play at least a  few hours a week.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Zoredache said:

probably wouldn't want to spend time setting it up unless there were at least 10-20 players that would login and play at least a  few hours a week.

:o 

maybe we could have people take a poll if they would join or not

Edited by DumbAsh

1 hour ago, DumbAsh said:

:o 

maybe we could have people take a poll if they would join or not

You're more than welcome to start a poll if you like.

• Like 1

I did not want to fill more space with quoting above comments... but

I have a little bit of experience with some moded servers. For the version and correct mod restriction, the way to limit the version is a similar way as used with all the other servers, except using the forge interface, which can be very aggravating  at times.  Having the right mods installed can however can also be tricky, as the same mod may have many different versions and features that may vary by source, so that can be another  challenge, however I have seen this helped by putting a link for the mod download page when connection is refused due to the mod not being installed, or not the right version of the mod. Some mods are more tricky than others to use due to how often they are updated and patched, as one that is updated every day is always changing, so more problems and bugs can be possible with new versions, but stay with the most current version. But a mod that is never updated stays the same for long periods of time without needing to go update all the allowed mods for the server, but these have bugs that are never fixed and can stay on the same mc forge version for a long time. So it would be fun to have a moded server , but as turbo said, there will need to be players to make it worth while setting up, as these servers can be a nightmare to run at times.

• Like 1

Hello, so I got this idea from GoodTimesWithScar with his FoolCraft series where you can use the Curse launcher for modpacks (or the Technic Launcher). But if it's too complicated to figure out, we could go with knightman. Based on what he's saying he seems to know a lot about that.

We could also start small with mods and add them by players voting on them?

Here are some mods that some people could be interested in? : All of these mods here I compatible with 1.7.10

Also, here's the poll

It could be vanilla style and I think it'll make building really fun.

BiblioCraft-Mod.jpg

screenshot_5.jpg

ip_pets.png

KVaLw.png

DecoCraft-2-Mod-8.jpg

• Like 1

I know a shitty shitload about many mods. Should you go through with this Groz for Modded SMP Admin 2k17.

BTW Lol I'm actually very good with mods. I beta tested NEI (even though its useless now with 1.12). I helped do some combination coding for FTB (Feed The Beast) the most popular modpack of all time. I understand how to code mobs in Minecraft with limited AI and I'm extremely familiar with Bibliocraft and other popular mods such as More Mobs Mod, Pokecraft, all of the shit.

• Like 1

The only thoroughly modded MC I've tried has been single-player Life In The Woods: Renaissance and my computer can. not. keep. up. but I would love to actually play something with vanilla-esque mods. None of the technology or magic stuff, just extra materials to build with and more plants and animals and structures. 

• Like 1

I know how to run a forge server if we are thinking about adding one. I am currently just hosting it through my computer tho. I enjoy playing with mods, it adds something new to the game and gives people many fun ways to do stuff.  The only thing I can see that could be a problem is possible greifing.  It is a problem when players get ahold of items with limitless power and destruction.

• Like 1

I'm confuzzled, will SMP be modded or will it be another server like skyblock, vanilla, etc.  just called Modded? If it's on the main SMP server I wouldn't like it, but maybe if it was on a separate server maybe I'd play it sometimes and see what people have built/ done etc. it seems like a cool idea though

Just now, Bec said:

I'm confuzzled, will SMP be modded or will it be another server like skyblock, vanilla, etc.  just called Modded?

separate 

Just now, Knightman said:

The smp will almost certainly never be modded. Well, besides plugins and stuff.

PHEWWWW

On 3/25/2017 at 7:29 PM, Zoredache said:

10-20 players

eh? 14 people

Edited by Ash

I Don't really think we should do a modded server because it would have 1-5 players that are active. most people on our server do not have the capabilities or smarts to be able to get mods on their computer let alone how many people play on the server with just laptops. For me a single (That's adds no new blocks) Fucks everything up so......

19 hours ago, Ash said:

eh? 14 people

This number is a bit of a misleading figure.

On one hand, I believe that there will be several users who don't check the forums regularly that'll be ecstatic about joining a modded SMP server. On the other, you can't be too sure that the people who voted "Yes" have beefy-enough computers to handle modpacks, or that they'll spend the majority of their time playing on the modded server.

In order to better ensure you meet Zore's goal of "10-20 people spending at least a few hours a week," you need to garner more information than this.

-How often (if you voted "Yes"), on average, do you play each week? (you can find this out by dividing your /ar check (in hours) by the elapsed time since your /joindate (in weeks))

-What percentage of the above time do you estimate you'll play on the modded server?

Ash, maybe if you could provide your answers to these questions, the admins could use your data as a benchmark to determine whether or not there'd be sufficient commitment to this kind of server.

Edited by jepanddep
Silly grammar mistake
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I think if you read between the lines it's pretty much decided, most people don't want to worry about mods, and most importantly, the staff doesn't.

I would still play no matter what though, this community's awesome! :D 

• Like 1

It's not a matter of how many people don't want to worry about mods - it's a matter of how many people do.

And judging by her poll, she's amassed quite a bit of support (from server helpers and admins, too, I might add!).

If enough people agree to this petition, it should be enough of a driving force for the staff to want to create a modded server. It's analogous to how when Youtubers get tons of views and likes, they're compelled to make more videos. I personally think it's a neat idea to suggest a modded server.